If You Want to Improve Student Achievement, Start with Relationships



By Julie Schmidt Hasson, Ed.D.
Nina B. Hollis Endowed Chair in Education at Florida Southern College

A few weeks ago, I was seated next to a teacher on a plane. We were both headed to a conference where I would be speaking. I asked her what she taught, and she responded, “students.” I knew I was in good company. She went on to tell me about her students in detail, and her eyes lit up as she described each one. She intuitively knew deep relationships with students are formed intentionally over time as the teacher focuses on each student’s curiosity, interests, strengths and needs. She understood that impactful relationships go way beyond high fives and handshakes. I asked her if she had any problems with classroom behavior or resistance to learning. I could have predicted her response. She admitted there are challenges but explained how she works through them in the classroom. Her goal was to ensure each student’s sense of worth and belonging, no matter what.



This smart teacher may not have read the growing body of research which suggests that strengthening student-teacher relationships leads to improved academic, social and emotional outcomes for students. This teacher likely found evidence of the benefits through her own practice. But we do not have to leave this important lever to chance. Teachers do not need to discover it through trial and error. There are strategies we can all use to deepen relationships with students. The strategies center on our ability to notice things about our students and respond. I use the formula, Notice + Act = Impact. It is simple, but not easy. With all of the distractions and obligations, being fully present and focused on our students is challenging. But it is critical we do just that because Almost every factor schools take into account, from attendance to behavior to academic engagement, can be positively impacted through a focus on relationships.

The effort is worth it, for both the teacher and the student. Relationships with students are a source of joy and satisfaction for most teachers. And, relationships are the basis for a legacy of impact. As a qualitative researcher, I study the things former students remember about their teachers. After collecting hundreds of stories, I have come to understand what teachers say and do that stick with students for years (even decades). Deep student-teacher relationships have both short- and long-term influences. By employing relationship building strategies, teachers can improve a student’s motivation and achievement over the course of a year, and teachers can also change the trajectory of a student’s life. A deep relationship with a teacher is a powerful mitigating factor for a child at risk. I will use a few of the stories I have collected to illustrate simple strategies for making an impact by noticing plus acting.



The first strategy is noticing a bid for connection and responding. A bid is a subtle (or not so subtle) signal. When we notice the words, expressions or gestures that reveal how a student is feeling and demonstrate an understanding of those feelings, trust grows. We build a better relationship bid by bid, one connection at a time. When teachers continually ignore a student’s bids for connection, self-doubt and feelings of rejection emerge. Shelby’s story about Mrs. Berns, her fourth grade teacher, speaks to the power of noticing and responding. This is Shelby’s story:

I loved going to Mrs. Berns’ classroom. It was a peaceful sanctuary in my otherwise chaotic young life. I was always well behaved in school. However, I felt like an annoyance to my teachers, except for Mrs. Berns. I was scattered, constantly losing or forgetting things. The other teachers were visibly annoyed by my missing papers and library books. They scolded me for my disorganized backpack. Just a few weeks into my fourth grade year, Mrs. Berns noticed that I had not turned in homework for several days. I was ready for her to lecture me, but instead she asked me a question. “Do you have a quiet place to do your homework after school?” I shook my head. She continued, “What is your after school time like?”

I explained that I usually went to one of my aunt’s houses because my mom had to work. Sometimes I went to my grandma’s house. I never really knew where I would end up. I went with the relative who could take me. If my mom worked late, I slept at a relative’s house. This happened more often than not. So, my belongings were always scattered all over the place, and never where I needed them.

Mrs. Berns stood there for a minute; then she walked over and cleared off a little desk by the window. She placed some paper and a box of pencils on the desk. She told me to pick up my breakfast in the morning and come directly to my new “homework spot” instead of waiting for the bell with the other kids. I happily worked on my homework every morning, and I kept my library books and other important things inside the desk. The routine was comforting, and I treasured the extra time with Mrs. Berns. She made a big impact by finding out what I needed most and providing it.

Mrs. Berns provided security and stability in Shelby’s chaotic life. She built trust. Too often, students lose trust during their time in school. They protect themselves and stop taking the risks necessary for learning and growth. If we notice students’ walls and respond in ways that reduce their need to use them, we can help them grow. Justin’s story about Mrs. Downey is a great example of noticing a wall and responding with compassion. This is Justin’s story:

I remember middle school as a challenging time. I was small and struggled academically, which made me feel insecure. I avoided anything that would potentially draw attention or cause me embarrassment. Mrs. Downey’s reading class was comprised of mostly boys. I had known many of them since elementary school when we were all diagnosed with learning disabilities. After years of teasing, we learned to hide behind protective armor. We ascribed to the “attack them before they attack you” philosophy.

So, when we arrived in Mrs. Downey’s classroom that first day, we were surprised to find two guinea pigs. There was eye rolling and groaning; we were clearly too cool for class pets. Little did we know that George and Lennie had the power to break through the armor of middle school boys. Most of us were reluctant to read out loud, but we were willing to read to George or Lennie. Mrs. Downey’s typical response to an angry outburst was to send us over by the guinea pigs to cool down. In other classes, teachers would likely have withheld Lennie and George, seeing it as a reward when we should be punished. But this particular teacher was wise enough to find the fastest way to get us back on track.

Looking back, I see the brilliance of Mrs. Downey’s plan. When I felt unworthy, she gave me responsibility for the guinea pig’s care. When I felt unlovable, Lennie and George loved me unconditionally. When I armored up, these small creatures softened my heart. I took risks as a learner that I would not have taken in any other class.

Mrs. Downey was determined to keep students in the classroom and learning, and she understood the power of breaking down walls. Noticing a student’s need and responding to that need also has a great impact on a student’s self-worth. By noticing a need and responding, we send the message that students are worthy of our time and effort. John has clear memories of the way his third grade teacher, Miss Andrews, made him feel worthy, and he has carried those memories for decades. This is John’s story:

We were as poor as a family could be without living on the streets. I don’t think I was aware of that until I went to school. I remember seeing other kids in their clean, pressed clothes and thinking they must be loved in a way that I longed to be. My dad was too busy drinking, and my mom was too busy getting beaten by my dad to take care of me. I started to press my own clothes, but they never looked as new and clean as the clothes of the kids I admired.

My teacher, Miss Andrews, used to invite me to her home after school for a snack. Somehow she recognized that I was hungry. One day as I was leaving, she handed me a package wrapped in brown paper and tied up with string. I ran all the way home to open it. I spent hours staring at the three new school shirts that had been folded inside the package, holding them and smelling them.

It still gets to me. You are supposed to love your own children, but this woman showed such love to someone else’s child. Looking back, I know she couldn’t have had much herself, and yet, she made this sacrifice for me. Somebody noticed me. Somebody cared about me.

John must have been given many gifts in the sixty-five years since, but it would be a wonder if any of them could top those new school shirts. It seems the gift was not really in the shirts themselves. The gift was in the message: You are seen. You are loved. John’s story exemplifies the power of simple acts and the meaning students make of them. Miss Andrews did not just make John a better student, she influenced the kind of person and parent John became. By noticing and responding, we all have the opportunity to be someone’s Miss Andrews.

As I think back to the teacher on the plane, I wonder what her students will remember about her. Certainly, they will recall her empathy and care. Even if they do not see the connection between her actions and their outcomes, they will remember how she made them feel. And students who feel seen, valued, safe and confident become willing allies in the cause of their own learning.


Dr. Julie Hasson is the Nina B. Hollis Endowed Chair in Education at Florida Southern College and the founder of the Chalk and Chances project. Julie spent fifteen years as a teacher and ten years as an assistant principal and principal. During her time as a school administrator, Julie earned a doctorate in Educational Leadership from the University of South Florida.


Now that Julie is a professor, she researches the ways teachers make a lasting impact on students. That research is the basis of the Chalk and Chances project, an online community dedicated to celebrating and elevating teachers. Julie has the opportunity to teach all around the world through her writing, speaking and training. She is a TEDx speaker and the author of Unmapped Potential: An Educator’s Guide to Lasting Change



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

111 Points to an “A”: A Student Achievement Success Story Emphasizing When Student Learning is Prioritized, Results Come

The Three As of Effective Instructional Leadership: Alignment, Acquisition, and Assurance

HAVE, DO, BE: A Shared Visioning Activity for School Leaders