Personal Excellence in a Caring Place

 Personal Excellence in a Caring Place

Eric Basilo, Ed.D, Assistant Principal, Seminole County Public Schools

“Leadership today is based on relationships built with trust, hope. Love. And encouragement.” - Billy Cox, bassist

I will never forget my introduction to teaching.  I was 22, fresh out of college, and excited to teach Math.  I was walking into Winter Park High School at the ideal time (the middle of January – HA!) taking over for a beloved teacher who was taking over higher Math courses.  I had some of the toughest students on campus and was afforded the task of ensuring some would be ready for graduation in May.  Not a problem for someone facing a slew of health challenges that would take my ability to speak about halfway through the semester.

Thank God I was a newly made wildcat - the school whose motto was, “Personal excellence in a caring place.”  What was unique about the school was each member of the community including students, parents, teachers, administrators, and all staff lived it.  I was fortunate this was my first experience, as through each challenge, I was genuinely cared for by a village.  I was included, accepted, and loved.  It was these fundamental values that shaped me into the administrator I am today. 

As we go through some of the toughest times in modern history, we must remember the importance of appreciating the staff we have.  As the instructional leaders of our school or our district, it is critical to not only keep our members focused on student achievement, but to specifically recognize the specific accomplishments they achieve along the journey.  The key to success in the classroom is the ability to help others feel success as they achieve it.

So how do you make it happen?  Each year, I prioritize going into each of my teacher’s classrooms to see the amazing things they do.  For my secretaries, security, campus restaurant workers, and custodians, I watch how they interact with children as well.  At the end of the first quarter, I write a personalized thank you note pointing out one specific thing I have seen them do to potentially make a difference in a student’s life.  It is one thing for people to be professional, take pride in their work, and love their school, but it is incredible when someone recognizes it and thanks them for their efforts.  This one-act not only strengthens the community but can help people realize their importance.

While providing feedback on ways to help teachers and staff improve is important, letting them know you recognize the many things they do well is critical.  Regardless of your role on campus, you an integral piece to the puzzle that makes up the whole student.  As a leader, make sure your words are the fuel to ensuring your campus is an environment of “Personal excellence in a caring place.”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

111 Points to an “A”: A Student Achievement Success Story Emphasizing When Student Learning is Prioritized, Results Come

The Three As of Effective Instructional Leadership: Alignment, Acquisition, and Assurance

HAVE, DO, BE: A Shared Visioning Activity for School Leaders